Powered by Blogger.

Health Benefits of Blood Donation

I was 17 when I first donated my blood. I was afraid as it was the first time I was going to lose a pint of blood to a patient. My aunty was undergoing childbirth through caesarean section where she lost a lot of blood. As a general donor, it took the persuasion of e my relatives for me to agree to donate my blood.  Necessary tests were carried out to ascertain the safety of my blood before my blood was collected. It wasn't really as scary as I presumed. I watched as my blood ran into the blood bag and in less than five minutes, a pint of blood had been taken.
Blood donation is very important. There is a feeling of satisfaction one experiences when one realizes that one's blood was used to save a life. Apart from the psychological satisfaction, the following are the health benefits of blood donation.

Benefits of blood donation

Reduces the risk of heart disease
Blood donation reduces the level of iron contents in ones blood. Too much iron can interfere with the oxidative processes of the heart which might result to series of severe heart complications. Blood donation eases out these iron and reduces the incidence of heart related ailments.

Reduces the risk of cancer

Blood donation has been widely accorded as one of the ways to reduce the risk of cancer. Iron has been implicated as a major cause of cancer and therefore, the need for blood donation cannot be overemphasized. Contrary to stories that blood donation causes cancer (which aim at discouraging people from donating blood) ,blood donation has been proven to be very helpful in reducing the risk of cancer.

As a weight control measure.

About 650 kilocalories of fats are burnt in every donation. Regular blood donation can be used to put obesity to check. Depending on the level of the blood hemoglobin and iron levels,  it is advised that blood be donated within a space of 2 to 3 months and not more regular. Now go to a nearby clinic and shed off some weights .

Free health checkup

Before donating blood ,several tests will have to be carried on your blood against any possible contamination. I must confess, my first HIV status was confirmed when I made my first blood donation and it was free. Several other  tests were also ran free of cost.

Who/when do we donate ?

1. Accident victims.

Some fatal accidents can cause the victims to lose lots of blood. Too much loss of blood can reduces the chances of an accident victim  of surviving. The only way through which his blood level can be sustained in such an emergency situation is through blood transfusion.

2. During surgery. 

Surgeons require blood to supplement for the loss of blood that may result during the surgical process. They always require it as standby in case the patient loses enormous blood. It is therefore important that blood donation is encouraged to help people who are in dire need  of it. Come on, just a few of your excess blood wouldn't hurt.

3. Anemic patients

It is quite unfortunate that some people are born with the disability of constant loss of blood. People like these need blood transfusion regularly in order to keep them alive and well. Sickle cell and blood cancer patients are very much in need of regular transfusion  in order for them to survive as their system has been fraught with the inability to replicate blood cells.

4. Women in labour.

When women undergo labor, a lot of blood might be lost and hence the need for blood to be on the standby in case it is needed to supplement for the lost blood. As I mentioned in the beginning of this article, I donated to an aunty of mine who bled profusely during labor. Not only was her life saved, she delivered successfully leaving me with the feeling of fulfillment.

Conclusion.

We have seen the need for donating blood. Blood donation is not only beneficial to the person who receiver, it is also beneficial to the donor. Blood donation should be encouraged and the awareness should be created to educate people on the need to donate blood.

Save a life today!



Share on Google Plus

About NCC

I am a lover of nature and an advocate of natural health remedies. Nature has blessed us with ambundant health resources; only if we can tap into them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment